The Lincoln Town Car is a model line of full-size luxury sedans that was marketed by the Lincoln division of the American automaker Ford Motor Company from 1981 to 2011. Deriving its name from a style of limousine, "Town Car" translated in French is the term "Sedan de Ville" (the Cadillac rival to the Lincoln Continental from the 1950s to the 1990s). The Town Car nameplate first appeared as a sub-model of the Continental in 1959, later becoming a trim line during the 1970s. In 1981, the Lincoln Town Car became a distinct product, taking the place of the Continental in the Lincoln model line.
Produced in three separate generations, the Lincoln Town Car was based solely on the rear-wheel drive Ford Panther platform, sharing its chassis and mechanical components with the Mercury Grand Marquis and the Ford (LTD) Crown Victoria. With the exception of two-door sedans sold in 1981, the Town Car was produced in a single four-door body style. Following the 1996 discontinuation of the Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, the Town Car became the longest (though not the heaviest) mass-produced sedan assembled in the Western Hemisphere until 2003. Within Ford Motor Company, the Lincoln Town Car marked the introduction of several significant features and technologies, including fuel-injected engines, 4-speed overdrive automatic transmissions, keyless entry, and overhead-cam V8 engines.
Marketed primarily in the United States and Canada, the Town Car saw exports worldwide. From 1981 to 2007, the Lincoln Town Car was assembled at Wixom Assembly, at Wixom, Michigan, alongside the Lincoln Continental, Mark Series, and Lincoln LS. Following the closure of Wixom Assembly, production of the Town Car was moved to St. Thomas Assembly in Southwold, Ontario, Canada, alongside the Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis. In 2011, production of all three Panther-platform vehicles ended as the St. Thomas facility ended production in September 2011.